Building Telemetry for Constraint Management Systems (RMS RES)
What is it and why?
Restriction Management System (RMS) is a set of technical and software tools used to ensure safe and reliable operation of the power system. The RES Control System is a subsystem of the CCS, which is designed to manage restrictions on electricity generation from renewable energy sources (RES).
Telemetry is the transmission of real-time information from one location to another. In the context of the RES ETS, telemetry is used to transfer information on the status of RES generation facilities to the transmission system operator (TSO).
Why do we need telemetry for renewable energy SCRs?
Telemetry for RES ERs is needed for the following reasons:
- To ensure operational management of constraints. The transmission system operator must be able to promptly receive information on the status of RES generation facilities in order to promptly issue commands for their curtailment, if necessary.
- To ensure calculation of compensation for constraints. In order to calculate compensation for limitation of RES generation, the TSO must have information on the real time of operation of RES generation facilities.
What data is transmitted via telemetry?
Typically, the following information about RES generation facilities is transmitted via telemetry:
- Generation capacity.
- Voltage on the busbars of the generation facility.
- Frequency on the buses of the generation object.
- The mode of operation of the generation facility.
How to build telemetry for a RES ER?
The construction of telemetry for the RES RMS includes the following steps:
- Equipment selection. In this step, you need to select the equipment for data transmission, as well as the equipment for data reception and processing.
- System Design. At this stage it is necessary to develop a telemetry system design, which includes the equipment layout, as well as data transmission protocols.
- System implementation. At this stage it is necessary to install the equipment and configure the system.
The following equipment can be used to transmit telemetry data:
- Radio modems. Radio modems are used to transmit data over long distances.
- Line Modems. Line modems are used to transmit data over cable lines.
- Internet modems. Internet modems are used to transmit data over the Internet.
The following factors must be considered during the design phase of a telemetry system:
- Distance from generation facilities to the OSP.
- Availability of access to cable lines.
- Availability of Internet access.
During the implementation phase of the telemetry system, the following work needs to be done:
- Installation of equipment at generation facilities.
- Development of software for data reception and processing.
- System Setup.
Telemetry is an important element of the RES constraint management system. It allows the transmission system operator to promptly receive information on the status of RES generation facilities, which is necessary to ensure safe and reliable operation of the power system.